At Planning Center we build powerful web and mobile applications for churches. Our customers include 90 of the 100 largest churches in the country, and tens of thousands of small neighborhood churches—our mission is to equip them all with the tools they need to help their communities.
For years Planning Center grew through word-of-mouth referrals, without traditional sales and marketing tactics. We hold to this same foundational growth strategy while trying to expand our approach. On Marketing, our practices are customer-centric—focused on creating fun, engaging, educational, and honest content to provide churches with what they need to make the best software decisions.
The Marketing Department is looking for a graphics and web designer equipped with the expertise and empathy to shepherd the legacy of a 16-year-old brand and chart a new course for the next era of marketing design. The ideal candidate has an extensive portfolio of web and other design projects designed to engage, inspire, and educate.
Roles and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Marketing Director, you will be a part of a new, small, resourceful team. Our mission is to create engaging, inspiring content that helps potential customers decide if Planning Center is the right solution for them.
As a part of this team, you will:
- Take ownership of the visual design and direction of planningcenter.com and all other marketing materials.
- Optimize all visual content and construction on planningcenter.com for the best possible SEO results.
- Execute the full design process—brainstorming, conception, production, maintenance, iteration—of all Marketing projects as defined by the Marketing Director.
- Web Design/Development: Create and maintain pages on our marketing website.
- Digital Advertising: Creating digital slides, banners, etc. for web advertisements, conferences, and sponsorships.
- Graphic Design: Using illustration artifacts and design components from our style guide to create visual designs for our web, blog, video, and email content.
These are the core competencies and experiences that we are looking for in the person who will fill this role.
- Previous experience in web and graphic design. Ability to create beautiful and intuitive layouts, translate them to the web, and optimize for mobile and desktop.
* You are well-versed in using layout, color, typography, and illustration to create layouts across various media in adherence to brand standards.
- Proficiency with design tools. We use Figma, but experience with comparable tools like Sketch, XD, InVision, etc. will also be considered.
- Experience shepherding a project. You can take a project through the cycles of discovery, brainstorming, conception, and iteration; and collaborate with a team to make it happen.
- Clear verbal and written communication. We often work asynchronously, so clear communication through written documentation is a must.
- (Bonus; not required) Interest in and experience with user analytics. You are about analyzing user behavior and demographics; have the ability to evaluate results to make data-driven recommendations to the team; any level of experience using Google Analytics or a similar platform.
- (Bonus; not required) Experience with, or willingness to explore, UX research. This is a space in which we intend to invest time and resources as a team in partnership with Product Design.
The hiring team is composed of our Director of Marketing, Director of Product Design, Product Design Manager, other members of the Marketing team, and ultimately our executive team.
Here’s what you can expect out of our hiring process:
- Round One: Resume, cover letter, portfolio. At this stage, our hiring team evaluates candidate applications looking for stand-out work.
- Round Two: Phone call. This is a quick call with our Director of Marketing to get to know you a bit as a person after we’ve had a chance to review your work
- Round Three: Portfolio Review. This is a time for you to present your best design work! Plan on discussing two or three case studies that show your work and professional development, also make sure to share a little about your background and how you think about and approach design.
- Round Four: Interview with the Marketing Team. This is where the team will have the opportunity to get to know you a bit more.
- Round Five: Interview with our executive team. This interview is a conversation with the three founding members of Planning Center so they can get to know you and identify whether or not you’re the right fit for our company culture!
We are looking to have someone start as soon as possible.
Planning Center offers all employees a competitive salary in the top 10% of the industry based on New York rates ($81,456-$104,729 for this position, depending on experience level) and an extensive list of benefits. Moreover, we seek to structure our company culture to provide an environment for a healthy and balanced life.
Our company is 80% remote (all U.S. based), and we put a lot of effort into making sure our asynchronous communication and distributed model equips and empowers our employees to do their best work—on their own and collaboratively with their team. We also bring all our remote employees into our Carlsbad offices four times a year so that the team has the opportunity to build relationships and collaborate in person.
Additionally, we have default boundaries to protect everyone’s time and mental load and promote work/life balance. With these things in mind, here are a few of the benefits you will receive as Planning Center employee.
- 100% remote—work from anywhere in the USA
- Paid Fridays off in the summer, and every other Friday off all year round
- Full health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your dependents
- Company contribution to a 401(k)
- Mobile phone stipend
- Co-working stipend
- Health stipend (for therapy or counseling or a gym membership)
- Charitable giving match
- Paid vacation—two weeks your first year, and increases with longevity at the company
- Paid holidays—we observe a United States Holiday calendar and take a long winter break between Christmas Eve and New Year's
- Paid sick leavePaid month-long sabbatical every five years
- Generous continuing education allowance for books, videos, courses, and conferences
- All the things you need to get the job done—a laptop, monitor, standing desk, chair, and an allowance for other home office item