We created Canal to change the way that people discover and sell physical products online. We feel that a user should be able to buy anything, at any point, anywhere on the internet. Behind the scenes, this looks like a network of deep integrations across e-commerce platforms combined with a webapp that connects consumer brands to the people and places that could sell their products. You've heard of distributed systems; we're building the distributed digital economy.
This is a big idea, and we're prioritizing the top minds in tech, who get excited about building production-grade software and scaling it to millions of users, to join our founding team. You will work with a motivated team to define the processes and procedures on which we'll build a lasting product & design culture. This is an exciting opportunity to be a foundational member of a brand new project.
We're backed by a16z, Forerunner, BoxGroup, PrimeSet, and a formidable panel of angels.
What Excites You
- A collaborative environment where you have full ownership of your work, and can make direct impact on both the users and the team
- Solving problems with pragmatic yet elegant solutions — you know how to strive for simplicity without compromising the more complex use cases
- Shaping the culture and growing the team through recruiting, mentorship, and establishing best practices
- Comfortable with giving feedback to and gathering feedback from other designers across product and brand
- Work cross-functionally with the team to shape the product from strategy, definition to execution, validation, and future iterations.
- Producing high quality work from wireframes and user flows to pixel perfect design with delightful interactions
- Empathizing with the user and being an advocate for user experience
What Excites Us
- The ability to translate, define, and deliver design solutions that are both simple and powerful
- Familiarity working with design systems
- Proficiency in tools for prototyping and visualizing designs
- User research, and the intuition to know when to conduct it
- 5+ years designing and shipping software
- (Bonus) Experience designing for strong consumer software companies
- (Bonus) Experience building design systems is a plus
- (Bonus) Experience working in a startup environment
What Success Looks Like
- Craft — build experiences that delight developers and end users
- Ownership — advocate for projects and solutions that you believe in and see them through to production
- Leadership — level up your teammates by providing guidance
- 💰 Competitive compensation packages based on experience
- 🏝 Unlimited PTO + 12 company holidays
- 👀 Quality health, vision, dental insurance
- 👵 401K plans w/ 3% employer contribution
- 🚌 Commuter Benefits
- 🏠 Home Office Stipends
- 🍕 Dinner provided after 7 PM
- ✈️ Relocation stipend (if you're not based in the bay)
- 💚 An agile, motivated team based in San Francisco, with the challenging and fulfilling opportunity to help create a completely new kind of online shopping experience!
- ➕ And more!
Canal is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other protected class.