Are you a branding expert able to craft multi-modal storytelling and build an integrated Communications Design practice for global The Future of Mobility player?
Do you thrive on driving impact at scale – both for a global enterprise and a design organization? Are you a pioneer vs settler and a catalyst vs an agitator?
If the answer is ‘yes’, this could be the opportunity you’ve been waiting for.
Our Client’s Design Organization
Our client’s design organization is human-centered and at the cutting edge of the company’s most strategically critical work, designing people’s and society’s needs into the heart of the company’s next generation of products, services, and experiences, and they are designing at scale. The ultimate goal is to design new products, services, and ventures that customers love, and drive business profitability.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Our client is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.
The Communication Design Director (CDD) will bring an elevated level of craft to the design organization’s multi-modal storytelling and will help to ensure that the purposes of the messages, including around customer insights, are made clear, relevant, and memorable. They will bring clarity to points-of-view and will synthesize perspectives into nuanced and resonant communications of all forms. With a strong sense of branding and a systems orientation, they will bring a holistic view to how the design organization can best engage with its internal and external audiences. The Communication Design Director will build an integrated and comprehensive Communication Design practice – cutting across visual design, motion, video, and verbal expression - and will help build the Communication Design community within the design organization.
- Be the thought and opinion leader of Communication Design within the design organization and champion the value of Communication Design to the business
- Work with other the design organization Directors to give shape to their internal and external communications – research findings and insights, leave behinds, executive presentations, and more – and provide counsel on the best media to tell the story to achieve positive outcomes
- Be a trusted advisor to key cross-functional leaders and stakeholders
- Provide creative direction and art direction for branding and all manner of storytelling, balancing visual and verbal tone
- Grow, lead, and mentor a fast-growing multidisciplinary team, including designers of all media and writers, encouraging and inspiring the exploration and use of new methods to push thinking and design and supporting the team’s learning and development
- Build global continuity through quorums with Communication Design peers in other Labs
- Support setting the strategic direction of the Lab. Lead in the continued development of the lab’s strategy, culture, internal relationships, and external presence.
- Stay abreast of communication trends and bring real-world inspiration to the work
The ideal candidate will be/have:
- A master storyteller – capable of extracting the most meaningful pieces of information and constructing an arc that’s clear, compelling, and meaningful
- Artifact-agnostic - opening others up to different possibilities to best support what they’re trying to communicate
- Action-oriented - pro-actively seeks out opportunities to communicate in ways that resonate most strongly with intended audiences
- Curious about the world, inspired by others’ stories, and empathetic to colleagues and customers
- Comfortable with complexity and ambiguity—able to lead in a fast-changing and growing environment
- A detail-oriented big-picture thinker — relishes helping people make the connection between the customer, the design organization’s designs and business strategy
- Empathetic and radically collaborative — eager for diverse inputs and solving problems with teams across the organization, able to share work at different levels of finish, allowing others space to contribute or to help co-create
- The passion to mentor and coach others and the eagerness to bring your whole self to the community
- Experimental — open to trying new and better ways to convey messages
You will have experience working at organizations known for world-class communication design solutions. You have enjoyed roles that have helped you hone your skills in management – of people, processes, and projects - and leadership during times of change and in the communication and persuasion skills necessary to navigate complex, matrixed organizations, and have contributed to your creative community at large.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Communication Design, or equivalent
- 10+ years of experience in a creative environment or agency
- 6+ years of experience of leading highly collaborative design or other multidisciplinary teams
- Experience across a variety of touchpoints (print, motion, digital, interactive, immersive)
- Experience utilizing design thinking and/or human-centered design
- Experience designing and/or facilitating group collaboration workshops
- Passionate about the automotive and mobility industry
- Fluency in InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Sketch, Keynote, Microsoft Office
Candidates for positions with our client company must be legally authorized to work in the US on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.