Driveway empowers distributed teams to create their own internal communities. Our tools make it easy for distributed teams to have thoughtful, engaging discussions and work asynchronously while still staying connected to all of the things that brought them together in the first place.
Millions of knowledge workers are about to make a choice—to go back to the way they worked before the pandemic, or to embrace a future that is more open, digital, and distributed. We're on a mission to help every team realize the full potential of distributed work by making it more productive, more focused, and less lonely.
We're looking for a Lead Product Designer to join our small, but mighty founding team of four and craft Driveway's world-class product experience. This is a 100% remote role and our team is fully distributed. Driveway has no location or time zone preferences.
📬 Interested in joining Driveway? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
What you’ll do
- Develop a deep understanding of our users' problems through user research
- Lead the overall design direction of Driveway's product and brand identity
- Own the design of features from ideation, to wireframe, to shipped and in the hands of users
- Work cross-functionally with each member of the Driveway team
- Help with hiring and establishing a design culture within Driveway
- Define the future of distributed work processes so that we can build an opinionated product
- You have 4+ years of product design experience—understanding user problems through research and delivering amazing digital experiences from end-to-end.
- You put users first and have a strong sense of empathy. You are excited to work on hard problems when they have a big impact on users.
- You care deeply about the quality of the product you build, but understand the balance between idealism and pragmatism. You have a desire to work in an environment which values speed of iteration and individual autonomy.
- You're a problem solver. You can think in systems and work from first principles to design a solution and take action. You have a strong desire and ability to work through ambiguity.
- You have excellent communication skills. You enjoy writing and sharing your knowledge with others. Working in the open is your default.
- You value inclusivity, collaboration, and the freedom to tackle ambitious goals while having fun.
- If you think you'd be a great fit but don't feel you meet some of these requirements, we still encourage you to apply!
- Competitive salary and generous employee equity.
- Unlimited paid time off policy.
- Employer-sponsored health plan for medical, dental, and vision (US-based employees).
- A generous home office stipend.
- Sponsored company-wide meetups when safely allowed.
- Design your own benefits—if you're the right person, let us know what you need and we'll make it happen.
Driveway was founded in November 2020 by Chris Schilling and Harrison Johnson. In the midst of the pandemic and after spending the previous 5+ years building software to help teams run their physical workplaces at Managed by Q, we saw many newly-remote teams struggling to adapt to their entirely digital work environments. While productivity and flexibility were increasing, so were burnout and loneliness. Existing tools and the "always-on" culture that were fundamental to our old way of working were now incompatible with a distributed world. Seeing the once-in-a-lifetime chance to help teams truly reimagine how they get things done, we set out to make the future of work better than what came before.
Since then, we've partnered with an amazing early team to make this dream a reality. Driveway is backed by some of the best institutional and product-minded individual investors—including Scott Belsky, Jeff Morris Jr., and Lenny Rachitsky. We recently raised an annanouced seed round and are happy to provide details for anyone interested in this role.
How we work
Our team believes the future of work has yet to be written. We've spent years creating tools to help teams work better at companies like Google, Amazon, and WeWork. We're a passionate group of builders who love putting useful software products out into the world.
- Distributed: We are a 100% distributed team working across multiple time zones. We welcome talented individuals to join us no matter where they're located.
- Async: We use Driveway to build Driveway. This helps us default to thoughtful, asynchronous communication while still feeling connected as a team. Synchronous meeting time is reserved for some collaboration activities, 1:1s, and for social purposes.
- Open: We work in the open as much as possible. Driveway (the product) is open by default to all of an organization's team members. That transparency drives more knowledge-sharing and inclusive participation in our work. We like to take this even further by building Driveway in public as much as possible on Twitter, Reddit, Discord, and other community platforms. We regularly post product updates on our changelog.
- High-trust: None of this is possible without trust. As a distributed team with a high degree of autonomy, we know how important it is to always assume good intent. We are all here to ship the best product we can and solve our users' most important problems. That journey starts with the trust we have in each other. We know that together we can accomplish more than we could ever imagine doing alone.
Diversity at Driveway
At Driveway, we celebrate and support our differences. We know that building a team with diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, product, and community to flourish. Driveway is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.